Here at George’s, we pride ourselves on our deep Lancaster County roots and having a craft that has been passed down through generations. We love when visitors stop in for a woodshop tour to learn more about us. Schedule your today!
Our tours offer a fun and informative experience that takes you through a guided tour of our woodshop and showrooms. Knowledgeable tour guides offer an in depth look at how George’s Furniture is handcrafted by one craftsman, one piece at a time.
While we would LOVE to meet each of you in person, we know that not all of you will be able to stop in for a tour. If you are unable to stop by, we encourage you to visit our website and view our videos detailing a previous tour we provided for PNC Tours!
Our tour hours are Monday through Thursday from 9 am to 4 pm, and Friday from 9 am – 2 pm.
While our furniture is crafted here in Lancaster County, our reach has made its way to various locations across our country as well as overseas. With any piece of George’s furniture, our patrons are receiving countless long lasting memories. Our customers, whether they are here in Lancaster or residing elsewhere, receive longevity, durability and handcrafted beauty with each and every piece.
We are proud to have our furniture journey to diverse areas of our country including Alaska, Utah, Arkansas, Hawaii and many other states! Our pieces have ventured to Canada and even Ireland!
With our furniture, you can trust that no matter where you choose to venture, your piece will stand by you for years to come.
George’s Furniture is a second-generation family-owned business located in the farmlands of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Our furniture is still made the old-fashion way – handcrafted by artisans who take great pride in the quality of their work. There is no shortcut to quality. Make our shop one of your stops as you tour Lancaster County, Pennsylvania!
Each piece of furniture is handcrafted right in our workshop and signed by its maker. There is no factory assembly line – just skilled craftsmen who lovingly follow each piece from the selection of the lumber to the final detail.
Arrange a time to see your furniture being made and meet the craftsman by scheduling a tour on our website: https://georgesfurniturepa.com/take-a-tour/
Tour hours are Monday through Thursday, 9am to 4pm and Friday, 9am to 2pm. (Groups of 10 or more individuals should call ahead at 1-800-799-1685.)
George’s Furniture specializes in customizable hardwood furniture—but did you know we also make accessories that will light up any room in your home? From cutting boards, to hand turned wooden bowls, to keepsake boxes, our craftsmen’s careful precision and skills are unmatched.
Our gorgeous wooden bowls are hand turned using the following steps:
- Initial rough turning: this first step takes place while the wood is still wet (before starting the drying process). The rough turning is complete when the bowl’s thickness is about 1” all around.
- One year of drying: the wood then dries for an entire year. For the last four months of drying, the wood is brought into a stable environment (like your home) for the final drying time.
- Remounted to lathe: The rough turned bowl can then be remounted to the turning lathe. You will notice the slightly oval shape due to the drying process. By letting the bowl fully dry, you will have a bowl that keeps its perfectly round shape for life!
- Thickness achieved: Hand turning continues and, depending on the skill of the craftsmen, the bowl will be turned into a very narrow thickness all around—giving it a beautiful shape and feel. The turning isn’t quite finished until the craftsman takes varying grades of sanding paper to provide the smooth touch to the bowl.
- Final product: The final product is then rubbed with a food-safe finish made for items such as butcher blocks and salad bowls.
Visit our Lancaster County showroom today to see a variety of solid wood accessories, created and customized by our skilled craftsmen!
Caring for your piece of George’s Furniture is not like caring for just any piece of furniture. The finish used on each of our pieces is a durable, high-quality finish—and it is the best we have found for the following reasons:
NO MORE WATER MARKS
High Quality, Catalyzed Water-Resistant Finish
- The finish is both heat and water-resistant
- You do not need to use coasters for hot and cold drinks.
- Warm dishes will not make white rings on the table (however, when taking items directly from the oven, stovetop, or microwave, a hot pad is suggested)
- A good rule is:
If it is not too hot for your fingers, it will not harm the table.
- Furniture can be washed with a damp cloth.
- Duster spray may be used (however, sprays that contain wax may cause an undesirable build-up over a period of time)
- Polishing or to remove fingerprints, use a good grade furniture polish. Our favorite is Old English Lemon Oil, but Guardsman is also a good choice!
- The finish will have a chemical reaction if it comes in contact with rubber cement, airplane glue, or similar products.
- Permanent magic markers and cigarette burns cause permanent damage to the finish.
- The finish will scratch and the wood will dent, so be careful not to slide heavy objects across the table, counters, dressers, etc. A staple or even a hard crumb could cause a surface scratch or indentation.
- This is solid wood furniture, and it can be refinished.
Made in 1983. Refinished like new.
If the damage is a deep scratch or dent and the finish is broken, the damage can be minimized.
- First, soak the dent with a water saturated washcloth for several hours.
- Then, while protecting it with a damp washcloth, apply a steam iron to the dent and process will help swell the dent out to the original level.
- Please call us for advice on this process.
Restore to New
Having been in business more than 50+ years, we have families who bought a table when their children were small. Then, when their family grew up or the table passed to the next generation, they brought the table back to us and we refinished the tabletop to look as good as new.
If you have any questions, please call us! Our furniture is built to endure the test of time. A great heirloom to be shared over the generations.