Father’s Day is quickly approaching and what better way to say “thank you” or “I love you” than with a gift from George’s Furniture. Here at George’s, we recognize the tremendous sacrifice, love, support, and strength that men around the world provide to their families and friends. To all of the fathers, grandfathers, and soon-to-be-fathers, George’s Furniture is glad to wish each of you a Happy Father’s Day.
Our collection of hand-crafted furniture boasts the gift of tradition and durability for the men in your life. Reference our list below for gift ideas this Father’s Day.
Our non-tip rocking chairs provide maximum relaxation for dad without the fear of tipping backward. Our high-quality design and structure allow for hours of rocking after a long day’s work.
Our Country Curve Rocking Chair provides a non-tip design, thick contoured seat and high-grade water-resistant coating for ultimate rocking pleasure. View our Rocking Chair collection here.
Our bar stool selection provides strength and comfort in a chair with long-lasting durability, perfect for a man cave. Take a look at our selection of bar stools for a heavy-duty swivel with elegant design.
Our Onyx Blend Country Spindle-Back Barstool is constructed with 100% solid hardwood by a single craftsman. The two different stains are blended together for a sleek color combination to match any setting. View our Barstool collection here.
Each stool is hand-crafted, strong, stable and available in natural black walnut.
Our Traditional Stool has strength and beauty with a 100% solid hardwood construction for assisted elevation. Our stools are dependable for long-lasting support for years to come. View our Stool collection here.
Each and every one of our George’s Coffee Tables is handcrafted for ultimate design and durability. Each table offers simplistic style for any room.
Our Onyx Blend Mission Style 4 Drawer Coffee Table nicely blends two different stain colors for a beautiful and cohesive look. You can expect quality snacking and game day fun with this table. Water resistant and durable, this table will stay with you to create long-lasting memories. View our Coffee Table collection here.
Experience York, PA’s annual Made in America Tours Event with the entire family! The 20th anniversary of this event will be taking place June 13th to 16th, 2018. This annual celebration is a load of fun for you and the kids, and offers an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at various companies in our county.
From production floors to an alpaca farm, you will be able to explore the inner workings of the businesses who make our beautiful county thrive. George’s Furniture is happy to announce that we will be one of the stops on this exciting tour. Our commitment to high-quality American craftsmanship has allowed our business to flourish for almost 50 years.
While visiting George’s Furniture on the tour, you’ll be transported to a different world where hardwood furniture is made by skilled craftsmen. These craftsmen take great pride in their work, adding their signature to each solid wood piece they create. Enjoy watching handmade, one-of-a-kind furniture being built and imagine the possibilities while walking through our showrooms.
30-40 minute tours will be available the following days and times:
Wednesday, 8am to 4pm
Thursday, 8am to 4pm
Friday, 8am to 2pm.
See the full list of participating businesses on the York, PA website: https://www.yorkpa.org/events/made-in-america-event/
George’s Furniture is a second-generation family-owned business located in the farmlands of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Our furniture is still made the old-fashion way – handcrafted by artisans who take great pride in the quality of their work. There is no shortcut to quality. Make our shop one of your stops as you tour Lancaster County, Pennsylvania!
Each piece of furniture is handcrafted right in our workshop and signed by its maker. There is no factory assembly line – just skilled craftsmen who lovingly follow each piece from the selection of the lumber to the final detail.
Arrange a time to see your furniture being made and meet the craftsman by scheduling a tour on our website: https://georgesfurniturepa.com/take-a-tour/
Tour hours are Monday through Thursday, 9am to 4pm and Friday, 9am to 2pm. (Groups of 10 or more individuals should call ahead at 1-800-799-1685.)
The Kutztown Folk Festival is the oldest continuously operated folklife festival in America! This festival runs for nine days as it draws visitors from across the globe. This event provides valuable insight into the many traditions of the Pennsylvania Dutch. There is an abundance of children’s activities that the entire family will enjoy and even free admission for children 12 and under. Not only are there a ton of exciting activities over the course of the nine-day festival but there is also the largest quilt sale in the United States!
This long-lasting festival has been featured in National Geographic and has been called “one of the most unique festivals on the East coast” by the Washington Post! Starting June 30th and running thru July 8th, The 69th Annual Kutztown Folk Festival is just six weeks away!
For a limited time only:
“Fest – Goers” can receive a $4 discount on all Adult, Senior, and Weekly admission tickets when purchased online now thru May 31st. Enjoy a special $3 discount on all Adult, Senior, and Weekly tickets when purchased online June 1st thru Jun 14th. June 15th thru July 8th use the website coupon to receive a $2 discount on your advance ticket purchases.
Click here to purchase tickets online now, or visit the Festival’s website for more festival information.
Machs Gute (take care)!
Wedding season of 2018 has begun! If you’re looking for a locally handcrafted gift for the new couple, George’s Furniture has several options in various price ranges. From buffets and servers, to keepsake boxes and hand turned wooden bowls, we invite you to take a look around our showroom at the many choices we provide for gift giving.
Not only can you customize any piece of our furniture to your exact specifications, you can also take a tour of our woodshop to see our skilled craftsmen in action. We believe in connecting our customers to witnessing the crafting of our unique hardwood pieces.
Buffets and Servers
When it comes to gatherings and entertaining, every new couple appreciates a handcrafted buffet or server. The precision of designing each piece of George’s Furniture shines through our time tested joinery methods. These gifts will serve many happy guests in the couple’s home for years to come.
Our keepsake boxes can be utilized in several creative ways. They are large enough to keep your favorite recipe cards or wedding keepsakes safe, and small enough to tuck away. These boxes are the perfect gift for a new couple to keep their special items within.
Hand Turned Wooden Bowls
The initial rough turning of our bowls is done while the wood is still wet, and is then placed in a stable environment where they dry for one year. The finished product is completed in a variety of shapes and sizes. These bowls are the perfect gift for a special occasion, and since they are hand rubbed with a food-safe finish, the new couple can serve a heaping bowl salad to their family and guests!
Did you know that you can put George’s Furniture on your gift registry list and collect contributions towards a selected piece of furniture?You may put George’s Furniture on your gift registry and collect money for a selected piece of furniture. Your guests can call or mail their gift amount which will then be placed on the bride’s account. Later, the bride will have her own unique piece of furniture made her way! We also offer cutting boards treated with mineral oil, bedside tables, walnut and maple pen holders, vanity benches, strong foot stools, drop leaf tables, multi grain coaster, lazy susans, and so much more!
Give the gift of George’s Furniture this wedding season! Stop into our showroom to see these products in person.
George’s Furniture specializes in customizable hardwood furniture—but did you know we also make accessories that will light up any room in your home? From cutting boards, to hand turned wooden bowls, to keepsake boxes, our craftsmen’s careful precision and skills are unmatched.
Our gorgeous wooden bowls are hand turned using the following steps:
- Initial rough turning: this first step takes place while the wood is still wet (before starting the drying process). The rough turning is complete when the bowl’s thickness is about 1” all around.
- One year of drying: the wood then dries for an entire year. For the last four months of drying, the wood is brought into a stable environment (like your home) for the final drying time.
- Remounted to lathe: The rough turned bowl can then be remounted to the turning lathe. You will notice the slightly oval shape due to the drying process. By letting the bowl fully dry, you will have a bowl that keeps its perfectly round shape for life!
- Thickness achieved: Hand turning continues and, depending on the skill of the craftsmen, the bowl will be turned into a very narrow thickness all around—giving it a beautiful shape and feel. The turning isn’t quite finished until the craftsman takes varying grades of sanding paper to provide the smooth touch to the bowl.
- Final product: The final product is then rubbed with a food-safe finish made for items such as butcher blocks and salad bowls.
Visit our Lancaster County showroom today to see a variety of solid wood accessories, created and customized by our skilled craftsmen!
Are you looking for a perfect Mother’s Day gift? Give mom the gift of George’s Furniture this Mother’s Day.
There are several ways in which you can make this Mother’s Day very special with us:
- Schedule a tour of our woodshop so mom can see our skilled craftsmen in action.
- Visit our showroom to see a variety of options that your mother can choose from.
- Your mom will have the option of various natural woods and high-quality, water-resistant finishes to choose from. All of our furniture is customizable, from our gorgeous extension table to our rocking chair with matching slanted footstool.
Visit George’s Furniture for the perfect Mother’s Day gift this year! Call 1-800-799-1685 to schedule a tour today!
Caring for your piece of George’s Furniture is not like caring for just any piece of furniture. The finish used on each of our pieces is a durable, high-quality finish—and it is the best we have found for the following reasons:
- The finish is both heat and water-resistant
- You do not need to use coasters for hot and cold drinks.
- Warm dishes will not make white rings on the table (however, when taking items directly from the oven, stovetop, or microwave, a hot pad is suggested)
- A good rule is: if it is not too hot for your fingers, it will not harm the table.
For weekly care, we suggest:
- Furniture can be washed with a damp cloth.
- Duster spray may be used (however, sprays that contain wax may cause an undesirable build-up over a period of time)
For occasional care, such as polishing or to remove fingerprints, use a good grade furniture polish. Our favorite is Old English Lemon Oil, but Guardsman is also a good choice!
It is important to note the following about your piece:
- The finish will have a chemical reaction if it comes in contact with rubber cement, airplane glue, or similar products.
- Permanent magic markers and cigarette burns cause permanent damage to the finish.
- The finish will scratch and the wood will dent, so be careful not to slide heavy objects across the table, counters, dressers, etc. A staple or even a hard crumb could cause a surface scratch or indentation.
- This is solid wood furniture, and it can be refinished.
If the damage is a deep scratch or dent and the finish is broken, the damage can be minimized.
- First, soak the dent with a water saturated washcloth for several hours.
- Then, while protecting it with a damp washcloth, apply a steam iron to the dent and process will help swell the dent out to the original level.
- Please call us for advice on this process.
Having been in business more than 47 years, we have already had families who bought a table when their children were small. Then, when their family was older, they brought the table back to us and for just $250 to $300, we refinished the tabletop to look as good as new.
If you have any questions, please call us!
We often get asked what makes our furniture last so long. Many of our customers own George’s Furniture heirlooms that have been passed down to them—or they themselves plan on passing their pieces down to their children and other family members.
There are several reasons as to why our high-quality, hand crafted furniture is built to last right here in Lancaster County.
- Built from strong solid hardwood — Wood is a resource that keeps on giving. Pennsylvania forests are managed and cared for to strengthen and increase sustainability and the quality of our products.
- Constructed with the ability to adjust to moisture changes — between seasons and different climates. When the furniture is sitting in your home, the wood continues to move as the seasons change or the pieces move with you to different climates—but you’d never know it. Our furniture is assembled to allow for this movement without affecting its construction.
- Crafted by one craftsman with precision and seasoned skill — We do not have assembly lines. The craftsman who makes your furniture onsite will sign and date every masterpiece. Each craftsman takes pride in the personal work that goes into each piece they build—from start to finish. This goes a long way in controlling the overall quality and beauty in your own piece of furniture.
- Quality control at multiple points throughout the building process — The initial build of your furniture is by the craftsman. While being hand stained, each surface of the furniture is checked closely. Final assembly includes hardware and possible lighting. We personally deliver our furniture; this allows us to check it while blanket wrapping it for delivery with one final check at your home while you’re present.
- Time tested joinery methods — Our gift to you through our joinery methods is a promise for long-lasting construction. Craftsmen are trained to know the “feel” of a solid joint during assembly.
- Durability and life of furniture is taken into account at the design stage before building starts — Each piece is reviewed together by both a designer and a craftsman—and continues throughout the building stage. Our designers enjoy working with you to create your own unique piece for your home.
- Maintained temperature and humidity in the woodshop and finishing room — Temperature and humidity levels are taken into consideration throughout the year to keep the wood in a constant stable condition from the building stage, and through to the finishing stage. The wood or furniture never leaves the building between building and finishing. We use humidity control in the building throughout the year.
- High grade sanding materials — we use the highest grade of sanding materials to give the perfect surface for receiving a consistent stain. Sanding materials are never overused and our craftsmen have the experience to know when enough sanding is enough.
As you can see, a lot of time and care goes into each piece of furniture made here at George’s Furniture. Contact us today or stop by our beautiful showroom!
One of the major characteristics of George’s Furniture pieces is the natural beauty of the hardwood we choose for each piece. Our wood is harvested from native trees at just the right time each year. From slow-drying in our kiln, to constructing each piece by hand by our experienced craftsmen to your exact specifications. Throughout this meticulous assembly, precise hand sanding ensures proper fit and finish.
One way in which our customers customize their handmade pieces is by choosing the type of wood they’d like to use to match the look and feel of their home. While we have a beautiful variety of woods to choose from, the most popular choices are our natural black walnut blend, black walnut, cherry, and red oak.
The natural black walnut blend is natural walnut using both the dark inner wood with the lighter outer wood section revealing a beautiful color combination. The center part of the tree (heartwood) is dark brown in color, while the ten (10) outer layers of sapwood are a light off-white color. Our craftsmen choose the boards that have both the sapwood and heartwood grain of the walnut tree. As we carefully arrange the boards to create a unique natural flow of grain, the beauty of this particular wood just shines.
Our black walnut is air dried. Air drying is less stressful on the wood itself, keeping the natural beauty of color variation. This particular wood choice is usually finished with clear water-resistant finish, to let its natural beauty exposed without staining. Black walnut has a flowing, feathery grain.
Cherry wood is naturally lighter red in color with a beautiful flowing grain. We typically stain this gorgeous choice of wood, and our customers have approximately 15 different stains to choose from—from light red to dark red, and everything in between. This rich looking result is very popular among George’s Furniture customers.
Finally, red oak has a distinct, bold grain. Again, while it’s naturally light golden in color, our customers are able to choose from about 15 different stains for this hardwood choice. The stain highlights the darker part of the grain. Also important to note is that red oak is 15% heavier.
Stop into George’s Furniture today to customize your dream furniture! You can even schedule a tour of our woodshop.