George’s Furniture specializes in customizable hardwood furniture—but did you know we also make accessories that will light up any room in your home? From cutting boards, to hand turned wooden bowls, to keepsake boxes, our craftsmen’s careful precision and skills are unmatched.
Our gorgeous wooden bowls are hand turned using the following steps:
- Initial rough turning: this first step takes place while the wood is still wet (before starting the drying process). The rough turning is complete when the bowl’s thickness is about 1” all around.
- One year of drying: the wood then dries for an entire year. For the last four months of drying, the wood is brought into a stable environment (like your home) for the final drying time.
- Remounted to lathe: The rough turned bowl can then be remounted to the turning lathe. You will notice the slightly oval shape due to the drying process. By letting the bowl fully dry, you will have a bowl that keeps its perfectly round shape for life!
- Thickness achieved: Hand turning continues and, depending on the skill of the craftsmen, the bowl will be turned into a very narrow thickness all around—giving it a beautiful shape and feel. The turning isn’t quite finished until the craftsman takes varying grades of sanding paper to provide the smooth touch to the bowl.
- Final product: The final product is then rubbed with a food-safe finish made for items such as butcher blocks and salad bowls.
Visit our Lancaster County showroom today to see a variety of solid wood accessories, created and customized by our skilled craftsmen!