Experience York, PA’s annual Made in America Tours Event with the entire family! The 20th anniversary of this event will be taking place June 13th to 16th, 2018. This annual celebration is a load of fun for you and the kids, and offers an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at various companies in our county.
From production floors to an alpaca farm, you will be able to explore the inner workings of the businesses who make our beautiful county thrive. George’s Furniture is happy to announce that we will be one of the stops on this exciting tour. Our commitment to high-quality American craftsmanship has allowed our business to flourish for almost 50 years.
While visiting George’s Furniture on the tour, you’ll be transported to a different world where hardwood furniture is made by skilled craftsmen. These craftsmen take great pride in their work, adding their signature to each solid wood piece they create. Enjoy watching handmade, one-of-a-kind furniture being built and imagine the possibilities while walking through our showrooms.
30-40 minute tours will be available the following days and times:
Wednesday, 8am to 4pm
Thursday, 8am to 4pm
Friday, 8am to 2pm.
See the full list of participating businesses on the York, PA website: https://www.yorkpa.org/events/made-in-america-event/
George’s Furniture specializes in customizable hardwood furniture—but did you know we also make accessories that will light up any room in your home? From cutting boards, to hand turned wooden bowls, to keepsake boxes, our craftsmen’s careful precision and skills are unmatched.
Our gorgeous wooden bowls are hand turned using the following steps:
- Initial rough turning: this first step takes place while the wood is still wet (before starting the drying process). The rough turning is complete when the bowl’s thickness is about 1” all around.
- One year of drying: the wood then dries for an entire year. For the last four months of drying, the wood is brought into a stable environment (like your home) for the final drying time.
- Remounted to lathe: The rough turned bowl can then be remounted to the turning lathe. You will notice the slightly oval shape due to the drying process. By letting the bowl fully dry, you will have a bowl that keeps its perfectly round shape for life!
- Thickness achieved: Hand turning continues and, depending on the skill of the craftsmen, the bowl will be turned into a very narrow thickness all around—giving it a beautiful shape and feel. The turning isn’t quite finished until the craftsman takes varying grades of sanding paper to provide the smooth touch to the bowl.
- Final product: The final product is then rubbed with a food-safe finish made for items such as butcher blocks and salad bowls.
Visit our Lancaster County showroom today to see a variety of solid wood accessories, created and customized by our skilled craftsmen!
Are you looking for a perfect Mother’s Day gift? Give mom the gift of George’s Furniture this Mother’s Day.
There are several ways in which you can make this Mother’s Day very special with us:
- Schedule a tour of our woodshop so mom can see our skilled craftsmen in action.
- Visit our showroom to see a variety of options that your mother can choose from.
- Your mom will have the option of various natural woods and high-quality, water-resistant finishes to choose from. All of our furniture is customizable, from our gorgeous extension table to our rocking chair with matching slanted footstool.
Visit George’s Furniture for the perfect Mother’s Day gift this year! Call 1-800-799-1685 to schedule a tour today!
Caring for your piece of George’s Furniture is not like caring for just any piece of furniture. The finish used on each of our pieces is a durable, high-quality finish—and it is the best we have found for the following reasons:
NO MORE WATER MARKS
High Quality, Catalyzed Water-Resistant Finish
- The finish is both heat and water-resistant
- You do not need to use coasters for hot and cold drinks.
- Warm dishes will not make white rings on the table (however, when taking items directly from the oven, stovetop, or microwave, a hot pad is suggested)
- A good rule is:
If it is not too hot for your fingers, it will not harm the table.
- Furniture can be washed with a damp cloth.
- Duster spray may be used (however, sprays that contain wax may cause an undesirable build-up over a period of time)
- Polishing or to remove fingerprints, use a good grade furniture polish. Our favorite is Old English Lemon Oil, but Guardsman is also a good choice!
- The finish will have a chemical reaction if it comes in contact with rubber cement, airplane glue, or similar products.
- Permanent magic markers and cigarette burns cause permanent damage to the finish.
- The finish will scratch and the wood will dent, so be careful not to slide heavy objects across the table, counters, dressers, etc. A staple or even a hard crumb could cause a surface scratch or indentation.
- This is solid wood furniture, and it can be refinished.
Made in 1983. Refinished like new.
If the damage is a deep scratch or dent and the finish is broken, the damage can be minimized.
- First, soak the dent with a water saturated washcloth for several hours.
- Then, while protecting it with a damp washcloth, apply a steam iron to the dent and process will help swell the dent out to the original level.
- Please call us for advice on this process.
Restore to New
Having been in business more than 50+ years, we have families who bought a table when their children were small. Then, when their family grew up or the table passed to the next generation, they brought the table back to us and we refinished the tabletop to look as good as new.
If you have any questions, please call us! Our furniture is built to endure the test of time. A great heirloom to be shared over the generations.
We often get asked what makes our furniture last so long. Many of our customers own George’s Furniture heirlooms that have been passed down to them—or they themselves plan on passing their pieces down to their children and other family members.
There are several reasons as to why our high-quality, hand crafted furniture is built to last right here in Lancaster County.
Built from strong solid hardwood
Wood is a resource that keeps on giving. Pennsylvania forests are managed and cared for to strengthen and increase sustainability and the quality of our products.
Constructed with the ability to adjust to moisture changes
Between seasons and different climates. When the furniture is sitting in your home, the wood continues to move as the seasons change or the pieces move with you to different climates—but you’d never know it. Our furniture is assembled to allow for this movement without affecting its construction.
Crafted by one craftsman with precision and seasoned skill
We do not have assembly lines. The craftsman who makes your furniture onsite will sign and date every masterpiece. Each craftsman takes pride in the personal work that goes into each piece they build—from start to finish. This goes a long way in controlling the overall quality and beauty in your own piece of furniture.
Quality control at multiple points throughout the building process
The initial build of your furniture is by one the craftsman. While being hand stained, each surface of the furniture is checked closely. Final assembly includes hardware and possible lighting. We personally deliver our furniture; this allows us to check it while blanket wrapping it for delivery with one final check at your home while you’re present.
Time tested joinery methods
Our gift to you through our joinery methods is a promise for long-lasting construction. Craftsmen are trained to know the “feel” of a solid joint during assembly.
Durability and life of furniture is taken into account at the design stage before building starts
Each piece is reviewed together by both a designer and a craftsman—and continues throughout the building stage. Our designers enjoy working with you to create your own unique piece for your home.
Maintained temperature and humidity in the wood shop and finishing room
Temperature and humidity levels are monitored throughout the year to keep the wood in a constant stable condition from the building stage, and through to the finishing stage. The wood or furniture never leaves the building between building and finishing. We use humidity control in the building throughout the year.
High grade sanding materials
We use the highest grade of sanding materials to give the perfect surface for receiving a consistent stain. Sanding materials are never overused and our craftsmen have the experience to know when enough sanding is enough.
As you can see, a lot of time and care goes into each piece of custom furniture is made here at George’s Furniture. Contact us today or stop by our beautiful Lancaster furniture store showroom!